Raymond S. Byam


    Raymond S. Byam, an enterprising and prosperous business man of Canton, was born November 15, 1839, in Chelmsford, Mass., son of Otis Byam   The family was first represented in America by the traditional three brothers from England one of whom settled in Chelmsford, near Robbins Hill, where some of his descend­ants have since lived   Otis Byam was born and reared on the old home farm in Chelmsford.  When a young man he went to Boston, where he was for some years a merchant, and also kept the old hotel called the Hanover House.  He subsequently returned to the scenes of his childhood, and, purchasing the Byam homestead, carried on general farming until his death in 1858, at the age of sixty-four years.  He was a man of unblemished character, honest and upright, and a strong Democrat in politics, although he never cared to hold office.   He married Miss  Lavina Boomer, of Keene N.H.  Of their four children, George O., of Chelmsford, and Raymond S. are living.

    Raymond S. Byam was an attendant of the Chelmsford common schools until seventeen years old.  Then he went into the milk busi­ness in Lowell, Mass., and was engaged in it for two years.  During the following twelve months he conducted a livery stable on the corner of Middlesex and Howard Streets in that city.  In July, 1861 he enlisted in Company G of the Sixteenth Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, known as the Butler Rifles, and afterward served for three years in the Civil War, being promoted to the rank of Corporal of the color guards, and assigned to the pio­neer corps.  He saw much of the roughest part of army life, and was an active participant in many of the hardest fought battles of the war.  He was in the engagement at Fortress Monroe, under General Wolf; saw the ''Monitor'' sink the ''Merrimac,'' March 9, 1862; was at Gosport Navy Yard.  Having joined General Hooker at Fair Oaks, he took part in the Seven Days' Fight ; was next at Harrison's Landing; stood beside the gallant General Sickles when he lost his leg at the battle of Gettysburg; was later at Hanover Courthouse, the second Bull Run, Peters­burg,  and Chancellorsville.   In the last named battle he received a slight wound.  He completed his term of service at Petersburg in July, 1864.  After his return to Chelmsford, Mr. Byam remained at home for a short time. In the fall of 1864, he went to Roxbury, Mass., where he was for two years engaged in driving an express wagon to Boston.  In 1866 he came to Canton as messenger for Crummett's  Express  Company,  a position which he held for two years.  In 1868 he es­tablished his present express business between here and Boston, forming a partnership with his brother, S. L. Byam, who is now deceased. The express is conducted under the name of Byam & Co.  He also deals in coal, ice, lime, cement, drain pipe, hay, and other merchandise; and he does a large business in moving furniture, employing several men and keeping twenty-seven horses.

    Mr. Byam takes a genuine interest in all matters pertaining to the town's welfare and prosperity, and for five years did efficient ser­vice as Selectman and Overseer of the Poor. In politics he is identified with the Republi­can party.  He is a member of the New Eng­land Railroad Agency and of the Boston Express League, and is the National Color Bearer in the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Com­pany of Boston.  He was made a Mason in the Blue Hill Lodge; and he belongs to Mount Zion Chapter, R. A. M., and to the Joseph Warren Commandery, K. T., of Roxbury. He is also a member of Revere Post; No. 94, G. A. R., of which he has been chaplain for some time. On November 6, 1867, he married Miss Helen S. Bailey, who, born and reared in Philadelphia, died May 8, 1897  Their three children are: Ella S., Harry S., and Alice M.   Mr. Byam and his family attend the Universalist church.

Containing life sketches of leading citizens of Norfolk County, Massachusetts
Pub. Boston, Biographical Review Publishing Company, 1898
All biographical information is provided by the subject or family member, reviewed and edited by them before going to print.