Canton Historical Society
Canton, Massachusetts, USA 02021
Welcome To The BIGGEST
Local History Web Site In America
Click HERE To Send Us E-Mail
Please feel free to use any information
on our pages, we request that you give
credit to the Canton Historical Society
and or other authors.
PLEASE SUBMIT REQUESTS FOR
IN WRITING TO THE ABOVE ADDRESS AND
INCLUDE A DONATION TO HELP COVER
COPYING AND POSTAGE.
Canton is the home of American Freedom. In 1775, at the Doty Tavern, at the Foot of the Great Blue Hill the "Suffolk Resolves" were drafted. The Resolves were finalized in Milton, Mass. Then Paul Revere transported the documents by horseback to the "Continental Congress" in Philadelphia. The Suffolk Resolves was America's Declaration of War against England. At this time Canton was still part of the Town of Stoughton.
The Canton "Viaduct", was built in 1835. The structure was built by Irish immigrants. The granite was quarried locally in Canton and neighboring Sharon. The Viaduct was the final link between Boston and Providence, Rhode Island. This structure is on the National Historic Register.
The History of Canton, Massachusetts begins in 1630 with the Incorporation of the Town of Dorchester. In 1637, Dorchester extended its boundaries to "beyond the Great Blew Hills", this area included today's towns of Canton, Stoughton, Sharon and others. This area was also known as "Dorchester South Precinct" and the "New Grant". At this time Dorchester was the largest town in New England. In 1726, the portion of Dorchester which comprised Stoughton, Canton and Sharon wanted to be annexed from their mother town. So in March of 1726 the new Town of Stoughton was created, comprising these three towns. Stoughton was named for Lt. Governor William Stoughton, who presided at the Salem, Mass., Witch Trials in the 1690's. In the year 1765, the Second Parish (Sharon), wanted to be annexed from Stoughton, so it was to be. In 1796, the First Parish decided they wanted their freedom, a man named Elijah Dunbar thought the new town was antipodal to Canton, China, he was wrong of course. So, on February 23, 1797, Canton became her own town. Two other proposed names for Canton were "Freedom" and "Danbury". The town is planning a year long Bicentennial Celebration.
Paul Revere built the
first Copper Rolling Mill here in 1801.
The first piece of Cotton Cloth was made in Canton in 1802 by James Beaumont.
The first Steam Shovel in America was invented here by William Otis in 1836.
Richard Gridley manufactured the first Cannons in America.
The masts on the USS Constitution came from Elm Street in 1797.
The copper bottom on the USS Constitution was made here by Paul Revere.
James A. Bazin invented the Pitch Pipe and many other musical instruments.
Alanson B. Bullock invented a Rotary Steam Engine and a Cordage Twisting Machine.
The Lifeboat was patented by Armand Didot.
Cornelius Callahan invented the Fire Hose Nozzle, they are still in use today.
Zenas Crane, born in the 1790's invented a way to prevent counterfeiting paper money, still in use today.
PLEASE VISIT OUR OTHER PAGES LISTED BELOW
|Historical Society Information||Interest In The Town's Past|
|Author Of The "History Of Canton"||Paul Revere In Canton|
|Canton Biographical Sketches||First White Child Born In Canton|
|Looking Back Columns 8/94 - 8/96||History Of Pequitside Farm|
|Canton Journal Index 1876 - 1890||Stoughton Branch Railroad Stories|
|The Incorporation Of Canton||Canton's First Settlers|
|The Doty Tavern & the Suffolk Resolves||Canton Public Library & Schools|
|Aerial Photo Of Canton Center In 1965||Civil War Letters Of G. Bolton Of N. Y.|
|The TRAIN PAGE||The Rolling Stones In Foxboro|
|A History of the Viaduct||1829 Hunneman Hand Tub|
|Blue Hill Street Railway||1884 Thanksgiving Dinner In Canton|
|Historical & Genealogy Links #1||History & Genealogy Links #2|
|Revolutionary War Reenactment-1995||May's Tavern During The Revolution|
|NEW The History of the Esteys in England and America||The Gridley Graveyard|
|The Early Baptist Church||William Royall, The Last Slave Owner|
|The Early Orthodox Church||John Shepard, Stranger In His Own Land|
|The Early Universalist Church||The Old Dunbar Parsonage|
|Reverend Benjamin Huntoon||The Packeen Ghost|
|Canton Catholic Club, Massapoag House||Canton Junction Relocation Project|
|The End Of The British Flag In Canton|
|Reverend Zachariah Howard||Historical Society Organized 1871|
|Deacon Joseph Tucker||The Little Red House At Pequitside Farm|
|Nathaniel Kenney Of Canton||Old Canton Maps Page|
|Deborah Samson Mass. State Heroine||Springdale Mudhens Football Team|
|Deborah Samson, By The Canton Girl Scouts||12 Golden Rules For Children, From The 1880's|
|Old Egg Superstitions, By The Girl Scouts||Signs Of Rain, By The Girl Scouts|
|Pleasant Street Was Called Ragged Row||The Country's Oldest Singing Society|
|Cure For Rattlesnake Bite Found Here|
|Genealogy Index Page||Canton Chat Room Talk about Canton|
|Canton Junction, The Early Days||James A. Bazin, Inventor Of Musical Instruments|
|A Canton Gossip Hymn, 1897||Canton Center In The Olden Days|
|Canton High School, Class Song, 1930||The Canton Telephone Exchange|
|The Neponset National Bank||Canton Teacher Stoned To Death|
|Canton Area Radio Frequencies, Police, Fire, Ham and More||Canton Bicentennial Book (TXT Version)|
|Canton Message Board. Communicate With Other Residents||Postal Train Wreck, 1898|
|Story Of Commodore Downes||Canton's First Letter Carrier|
|Drinking Was A major Problem||Elijah Crane, Colorful Character|
|Canton Corner Engine House||Elijah Dunbar, 1st Local Library|
|Human Interest Stories Of The Past||The Lyceum Had Lively Debates|
|Ye Old Meetinghouse Renovated||Canton Inspired The Country In Music|
|Old Canton Roads And Ways||Old School Information|
|Dorchester South Precinct||Stores Aren't What They Used To Be|
|Taverns Key To Colonial Travel||Watering Trough Trend, 1880's|
|Canton Evicts 1st Minister||Walking The Town Boundaries|
|Paul's Variety Store||1973 Poem Of The Little Red House|
|Friends Of The Little Red House|
Historian To Visit
Since 10/22/04 at 10:00am EST
Come Back Soon, Thanks For Visiting.
Please Sign Our Guest book Below
Sign Our Guestbook
View Our Guestbook
The author of this site is a member of
This Historical Society Ring site
This Page Last Updated
01/19/06 08:48 AM